• 100 ml white wine
• 1 kg clams, live
• 25 g butter
• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 1 medium onion, 2mm diced
• 1 leek, white only, 2mm diced
• 100 g smoked bacon, 2mm diced
• 1 celery stick, 2mm diced
• 2 corn cobs, niblets removed
• 1 medium potato, 2mm diced
• 1 bay leaf
• 600 ml fish stock
• 50 ml cream
• salt and pepper
• 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
• 2 basil leaves, chopped
Place a saucepan on high heat and let it heat for 2 minutes, pour in the wine then add the clams. Cover with a lid and leave to steam for approximately 5 minutes until the clams open. Remove the clams from the saucepan and set aside. Strain off the liquid and set aside. Remove the clam meat from the shell and set aside.
Heat a saucepan on a medium heat and when hot add the butter, chopped garlic, diced onion, leek, bacon, celery, corn. Cook for 5 minutes until the onions and leeks are tender then add in the potato. Cook for a further 2 minutes, add in the bay leaf, fish stock and reserved liquid then cook for 30 minutes. Stir in the clam meat and cream then season to taste.
To serve, stir through the chopped parsley and basil then pour into soup bowls.